Originally posted on my other blog from May 20, 2014...
I've always been a mean mom. I believe that my kids need to know that
there are consequences to their actions and that life isn't fair.
Otherwise, how will they grow to be well-adjusted adults? As a result, I
have very well-behaved kids. I'm not always mean, but when the
situation calls for it, I have no trouble rising to the occasion. I
yell, I spank, I ground, I punish whenever necessary. But this week I'm
having to do one of the hardest things I've ever had to do under the
'mean mom' banner.
Big Sister (Erin) has been dancing since she was three, competitively since she was five. She's really good and she really, really
loves it. Which is why when she failed her first class, I threatened
that if she didn't get her grades under control she wouldn't be able to
dance anymore. Certainly it would hit home at her core and instill just
how important her school work was. Right? That was about this time last
year at the end of fifth grade when she got her last report card and her
first 'NI' grade. Because dance team try-outs happen at the end of the
school year, it came with a "last-chance" since we were already
contractually obligated for this year's dance team by then.
Unfortunately, she must not have thought I was serious... because she
has consistently failed to turn in her homework all year and has failed,
literally, at least one class each semester - sometimes more than one.
Now I'm faced with the hardest thing I've ever had to do: not let her
try out for a team next year.
I found out yesterday that even though she's known for months, she
hasn't told any of her friends on the team because she is so sad. And
every time I think about not getting to see her do something she has
such passion for and is so good at, I want to cry. But I refuse to give
in. (Plus Hubby adamantly won't let me even if I had a moment of
weakness. Not that I've had that many of them...) She's heading
into Junior High and, if she couldn't find the balance between school
and extra-curricular activities this year while still in elementary
school, she has little chance of doing so when she's thrust into the
insanity of seven different classes and seven different teachers with
homework every night. Instead of enrolling her in summer dance classes,
I'm enrolling her in a summer reading program to teach her study skills -
because god knows she hasn't listened to anything I've tried to teach
or instill in her the past couple of years.
Being a parent sure sucks sometimes. I watch my friends struggle with
kids who don't know what they love yet or have decided that video games
are all they want to do and I know I'm not alone in these kinds of
struggles. But it doesn't make it any easier. Clearly Big Sister would
rather dance than do homework but if she can't graduate high school or
college, I've failed in my duties as a parent. It frightens me to think I
only have six more short years in which to influence her actions and
help her figure out how to be an adult and then, whether either of us
are ready or not, she will be an adult.
Here's hoping this is only a year break that proves to her how important
it is to keep up on her homework so she can return to the thing that I
always knew would keep her out of trouble when she gets to high school. I
can't fathom if that plan backfires on me. I wish this kid had come
with an owner's manual because I could sure use one!
No comments:
Post a Comment