Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A bit of catch-up is in order...

I just realized that I haven't REALLY posted much since Christmas which was months ago! It isn't for lack of material - every time I see something funny or think of something to write about I send myself an email with the title "blog entry". I now have all these random notes that at some point were intended to be the topic of an entire blog entry and which will now have to be simply summed up in an all-together-mashed-up-mess. So, big deep breath and here we go!

New Years - we had such a weirdly different celebration to bring in the New Year this time around. Chalk it up mostly to the fact that we have finally brought ourselves into the current era where we actually have video gaming systems in the house. We have an X-Box which we thought was the greatest thing since sliced bread until Santa brought us the Wii. So, with new obsessions to fuel, we ended up with the neighbors to ring in the New Year with yummy soup and a whole lotta Wii. The funniest moment of the night was when the four of us were playing Tennis and Ace's Mii was violently swinging her racket on the TV screen. Ace's statement was "My girl gets nervous!" I haven't laughed that hard in a long time! Then about 10:30 the old farts (yeah, me and Ace) ended up napping on the couch while the die-hards were playing Mario Kart. I highly recommend a short cat nap to refresh yourself so you actually see midnight. Why is it that on a normal day I never have problems with staying up much later than I should and yet the one night of the year I'm SUPPOSED to stay up I can barely make it? Must be that ol' rebellious streak in my subconscious that rears it's ugly head more often that I like to admit.



New Year's Day was the annual family sledding trip with my siblings and cousins plus their kids. THE funniest part was aunt Denice - who seriously hates the cold and who I have never seen outside on purpose if she could help it in the winter. I'm not certain if she had purchased snow gear to use specifically for the yearly trip now or if it was a coincidence but she had snowmobile pants and a heavy winter coat complemented by a hat and actual ski gloves. We got to the hill and she turns to Shaun after putting on her one glove and says "Help, I can't get my other glove on..." So, with much sarcasm and mumbling, Shaun helps her on with the second glove. Then she gets this mischievous grin - as is her nature of course - and says "Now can you zip me up?" I was wishing like mad that I had the camera at that moment so I could snap a picture. That was a priceless moment! This photo was taken AFTER Denice was successfully bundled up and before we hit the hill.



January was a whirlwind of dance rehearsals and shuttle service in preparation for Erin's first performance at a Jazz game halftime. She did SO awesome and wasn't a bit nervous which really surprised me. At some point in this century I swear I will find time to actually return the video camera I borrowed from my parents so my Dad can burn the video to DVD so I can post a clip here. (Yet another gadget we don't own - well, two if you count the DVR AND a video camera that isn't in VHS format....) We paid entirely too much for the pleasure of seats in the nosebleed section where we actually counted how many rows DOWN from the top we were instead of the other way around. Aunt Denice and Uncle Shaun came with us and it turned out Jed and Kerstin got tickets and were there, too. Lucky for us, the nosebleeds weren't sold out and we all ended up sitting together and cheering Erin and the Jazz on. Erin was on the jumbo-tron 3 times during the performance. And so, a star is born!



The hardest part of the whole undertaking was convincing Erin that it was OK to wear make-up. Here I was, a Mom of a beautiful girl, and I had made the one biggest mistake you can ever make as a parent. Months ago, when Erin would watch me apply makeup she would always ask if she could have some. I didn't care about really light eye shadow but when it came to mascara I said 'No'. To the dreaded question of 'Why'. After so many 'just because I said's I caved and said 'because it hurts your eyes' and smiled smugly at my genius when she finally dropped the subject. Well, it came back to haunt me when she was SUPPOSED to wear mascara for dance performance. It took me a week to beg and plead and talk her down off the crying ledge and apologize for lying to her and pinky-swearing that it wouldn't really hurt. Now, she has her very own make-up bag and begs me to wear mascara on a weekly basis. Luckily the "it's only for dance" still flies. I hate how fast she is growing up!

2 comments:

Bryce and Adrian Hummel Family said...

I'm glad, "my girl gets nervous" made the blog. That was hilarious. What a fun night!

Denice Ruoti said...

OMG, can't believe I had to get suited up for sledding, thankfully Shaun was there for the assist. To answer the question, NO I already had the snow atire, although it was only the second time I have worn it. Twice in 3 years is far too many for me! Luckily I ended up having a great time with the family!