Saturday, March 21, 2009

Transformations

We are going through a time of transformation on many levels... The most obvious is the weather slowly coming out of the dismal throws of winter and trying hard to make it to spring. Of course, in Utah that means it is warm for a week and then it snows again for a couple of months before it really becomes steadily warm - and by then it is summer! There are buds on the trees and people are emerging from their houses again - no more winter hibernation!

We are transforming the interior of the house - a small metamorphosis with a large impact to Erin. Up until Christmas she had an entire wing of the house - bedroom, play room next door and her bathroom. Now, Daddy has taken over the playroom and is transforming it into a combo office/art studio. We have an office - fully furnished with bookshelves and cumbersome desk - but it is in the annals of the basement in the room now slotted to become the "home theater" room. When we got the much-anticipated and much-needed new computer for Christmas, we decided we couldn't bring ourselves to put it in the crappy office with hand-me down furniture. So, we also got a new and sleek desk to go with it and tucked it away in a corner of the playroom. The thought being the space could double as a homework/office/play room. Now, the toys have been relegated to the basement and Erin's work table has very little room for homework because it is storing as-yet painted on canvas' and paints. Clint has always had a talent for art but has fully embraced it as his most current passion. I can't wait to hang original artwork in the house and be able to tout that "my husband painted it".
I have transformed into a knitter - much to the delight of my brother who gets to tease me about being old! I admit, I made fun of the knitters at work and while my Mom and Gram have always been knitters I snubbed my nose. However, I thought it looked fascinating and I had a co-worker show me which then created a knitting frenzy. At this point, I have mastered scarves and hats - although I make more things for Erin than she can possibly wear at the same time. I have done one thing for me and it is a fabulous scarf. Erin loves her rainbow yarn - that she got to pick out - scarf and hat.
This was supposed to be MY hat but I guessed a little bit wrong on the size and it fits Erin much better. I'm just glad I did a "practice" hat before knitting it for Clint who is getting a new beanie next.
Erin is growing and growing and transforming into a big girl more each day. She has now lost 3 teeth - the last one just a few weeks ago.
As she grows older, I transform into a taxi driver shuttling her to and from the dance studio twice a week and girl scouts twice a month. She loves being involved in both and I love to see her happy even though I find myself wishing for the days of her just being content to hang out in her playpen at home so I could do whatever I wanted instead of what I need to do.
Even Sasha is transforming into not such a naughty dog and gets to spend more time in the house more often.
Next up - the yard will be transformed (we hope!) into a vegetable garden. It will be our first official attempt and we are hoping for the best.

No comments: