August marked the first day of 2nd grade for Erin - the exact same day we left for Girl Scout camp. So, she went to school in the morning for about 4 hours and then I checked her out early to head for three days of camp. What a spoiled girl, huh?
Brooklyn and Erin, BFF's for life!
Brooklyn, Erin and Kylee
Girl Scout camp was a first for Erin even though this was her second year of being a Girl Scout. When we first signed up, we did not have a local troop and Erin was a bit leery (as was her mother) about going away all by herself. So, we found a "Just the Two of Us" camp where we could go together. We had a blast and now I wish I had been a girl scout when I was a kid!
Face painting
The finished product
Why is it fun to mop at camp but not at home?
What? Creatures in the bathroom? Yuck!
Our bunks - boy was it cold at night!
Manicures
The chow line
Science is fun!
Hiking back to our tents
"Mom, I don't get it!" not one of our funnest activities...
Making goo is fun!
What a ham
New friends
Night-time fun with homemade suckers... yum!
Horseback riding - the best part of camp! Our horse Roanie wasn't very cooperative but Erin was still able to get the hang of controling his movements and even got him to gallop with her. It was fun for me to learn how to saddle and help Erin get him around the arena. My cousins taught me well except they always did the saddling part. (Thanks, Angela and Katie!)
Good times together!
All these months later, Erin still talks about how cold it was in the mornings in our tent (you could see your breath! brrrrr) and the horseback riding. I am just glad that even though I was pregnant I was able to keep up with all the activities and have a great time making lasting memories together. We are taking a hiatus from Girl Scouts this year since the troop meetings conflict with dance. I'm sure we'll be back because Erin sure loves being a Girl Scout!
A couple of weekends later, we took a camping trip to Fish Lake. We didn't do very much camping this year and many folks thought I was crazy to attempt sleeping in a tent - on the ground! - at 4 months pregnant but boy did we have a blast! We rented a boat on Saturday and spent the day floating around and hanging out. It was the perfect ending to a great summer!
The best camping trips are when there is a lodge with a restaurant and no cooking required!
Fishing on the lake
Erin LOVED getting to drive the boat!
I loved having nowhere to go and nothing to do but read a good book!
hiking around the lake
Pooped out on the ride home.

No comments:
Post a Comment