Wednesday, September 5, 2012

A day in the life

Yesterday was crazy.  Unglamorous.  Tiring.  Typical.  It started in the morning with Erica begging me not to leave her before I'd finished getting her dressed.  It was really whining which is in fact worse than begging.  There were tears and "me miss you" cries when I dropped her off at daycare.  I'm pretty sure they have a toddler handbook that explains explicitly how to tug at your mom's heartstrings because she's a pro.  And when Daddy picked her up from daycare later that day, she didn't want to leave because she was having so much fun.  Figures.  When I got home from work, she had fallen asleep.  It was 5:30 - PM!  Did I mention she refuses to nap at daycare?  Such a little stinker.  I couldn't wake her up no matter how I tried and she was still asleep two hours later - even after I loaded her into the car so we could go pick up Erin and the carpool dancers.  She clearly still needs a nap everyday.

I drove Erin and her dance friend halfway across the valley to where her friend lives, chatted in the driveway with her mom, my dance mom friend, while the kids basically screamed at each other through the back window and everyone yelled at their toddler to stay out of the street.  Because we stayed to chat, we got behind.  I had to rush home to get dinner shoved down their gullets before it was bedtime.  It WAS bedtime when Erin realized she had homework that was due the next morning.  Of course it was math homework and they are teaching a new math curriculum so, even if I could remember my own elementary school days and learning math over twenty years ago, I still couldn't help her because it's all different now.  Awesome.  At 9:30 Erin made the decision to get more help the next day and turn her assignment in a day late.  And I emailed her teacher pleading for a math book to be allowed a trip home daily so I have at least a slim chance in hell at helping her figure it out.

I tucked both girls into their beds - a half an hour late - and hoped like hell Erica was tired even though she'd had a two hour nap two hours before.  Erin was asleep quickly, Erica cried for an hour off and on.  All I wanted was to go to bed myself.  Instead, I gave in and rocked my baby to sleep while watching the season finale of Fringe - that's been on my DVR waiting for me to have such a free hour alone to watch it... since May.

The life of a mommy is so glamorous, don't you think?  I sure wouldn't trade it even when I have days like this one where everything I had planned to accomplish is still waiting to be done when I fall into bed after midnight. 

No comments: