It's twenty-one months into the COVID-19 pandemic. A LOT has happened in those months including my foray into therapy, something I never thought I would ever need. Yes, even though in the past I always loved saying 'everyone needs a therapist' and then secretly patted myself on the back knowing I don't actually need one because of all the psychology classes and self-help training I've done the past two decades. All I needed was a pandemic and extended family drama to change that narrative, apparently!
The isolation of 2020 with a high risk autoimmune disease brought our little family closer than ever. I'm so glad given that Big Sister is getting ready to head off to college and Little Sister is on the precipice of being a teen. Last Christmas we dispensed with the final year of Santa, leaving this year something interesting in his place. Both my kids want to create new traditions that are only ours. It feels fitting since my own therapy-aided boundary setting, coupled with my increased vigilance in adhering to CDC guidelines regarding COVID within my siblings, resulted in the impossibility of our family traditions from my childhood the last two years anyway. Honestly, I kind of love that my daughters have decided that The Solstice is much more meaningful to their belief systems than Christmas because I feel the same way. As we embark on a lot of "lasts" with Big Sister before she leaves for film school in LA next fall, we are also creating a lot of beginnings and I couldn't be happier.
No comments:
Post a Comment