Thursday, May 14, 2009

Race for the Cure and HCG miracles

I did it!! My first 5K!! I only have one photo - with Stacy after the race - and have more coming from Ace when her life has a moment of free time (no pressure honey!!)



The last few months have been chaotic for me as well as for the family. Erin has been sick, danced a ton, fallen behind in her school work, wants to be off track - she told me this morning - and Clint is back to building beautiful stuff in our yard with rocks in addition to oil painting masterpieces. My love affair with running and training for my first official 5K was put on hold while I do HCG treatments. I am happy to report after 20 days of injections and crazy regimented meal plans, I am 20 POUNDS lighter! HCG is a phenomenal miracle and I feel better (and look better!) than I have in years. I have 4 more days of injections and then I enter phase 2 where my metabolism resets and my weight stabilizes at this new and fabulous level. Phase 2 is also when I get to RUN again and I cannot wait!!! The goal for doing HCG was to drop about 20 lbs so I could more easily train and run without so much impact on my poor joints. Well, I got that and then some! I officially had to dig deep in the pack rat closet for clothes that wouldn't fall off my new more svelte frame and I never have been so smug about being a pack rat or being able to tell Clint that "See, I knew I would need these pants again some day!" while he rolled his eyes. He has been so supportive of my crazy eating regiment that he even eats what I eat - of course it is merely an appetizer most nights and then he hits the fridge for something to actually fill his stomach. Such a carnivore...

Even though I couldn't run, I still did the Race for the Cure 5K on May 9th with Ace and Amber and Stacy. Ace and I picked up Amber at an INSANE hour of the day I never see unless I'm on a graveyard shift and froze our butts off wandering through the "free stuff" booths until the race started. I have continued to train in my allowed way of walking and had done 4 miles two nights before so I knew I could easily complete the 5K. Of course, I wasn't running like the rest of my group but I still walked it in about an hour so I was still booking it. It felt good to be able to say I did it and for such a great cause. We were standing at the starting line cattle call looking around at all the runners with tributes for who they were running for - either in celebration of or in memory of - and I realized other than a couple of past co workers who were survivors I really have never been impacted by breast cancer. I feel SO lucky I can say that! Of course, we won't talk about the diabetes and coronary artery disease I DO have in my family medical history that haunts me every day and pushes me to take control of my health and my life...

We've already decided on the next race - another 5K on the 4th of July. And in the meantime I will have my running shoes with me and will continue to run every chance I get - including on our trip to see Clint's parents at the end of the month! Who knows, maybe a 10K by the end of the summer?

1 comment:

Kerstin and Jed said...

I think this major weight loss calls for a before and after picture! :)