Today Clint went dirt biking with one of his buddies, leaving the girls on our own for most of the day. It was also the first day of the dreaded week of jumping ahead for daylight savings time which sucks even worse with a toddler and a well-established nap schedule. We filled our morning with testing out Erin's new false eyelashes which she has to wear for competition this year - the makeup is MUCH different at our new studio. After I convinced her that it didn't hurt to glue things to her eyelid and she let herself relax enough to feel for herself that no, this didn't really hurt, it was smooth sailing. And guess who now wants to sport them all day every day. Oopsie! I never thought it would be true, but falsies are much easier than applying mascara to a nine year old!
Then we headed for the gym where Mommy had just enough time to run 4.5 miles before the child center closed but not nearly enough for the 8 miles I had hoped for. I hate the early closing times on Sunday! On our way to the gym, Erin said the coolest thing I've heard from her in a long time. From the back seat she said "Aw! I should have brought a book!" After which we discussed how Mommy always has a book with her and that maybe she should keep some in the car - just in case. This was her idea and I couldn't be happier to have her blossoming into a little book worm.
We finished out the day with a trip to Sam's to stock up on fresh fruit and veggies for the week which ended with me barely containing myself from going OFF on some stupid lady who thought it was perfectly reasonable to have her son stand in line by himself looking like he belonged with the family in front of him while she continued filling her car and squeezing into the line IN FRONT OF ME as I was getting ready to unload my purchases. She could pretend all she wanted that my glares weren't focused right at her - or that she didn't understand the language I was speaking - but I could see her squirming under her skin when I matter-of-factly answered Erin's questions about why those people were in front of us now.
Today I realized just how much Erin is growing up. I find myself having conversations that stretch my abilities to explain the world and our place in it. She already figured out - on her own - the truth about Santa which broke my heart. She isn't old enough, is she?!? Today she unbuckled Erica and took her out of the car all by herself while I was getting the reusable grocery bags out of the trunk. I love having logical and reasonable conversations with her where I see her brain figuring out things that will define who she is as an adult. They say the baby stage is hard - but I say the tween years are harder mentally!
Erica is also getting big and changing every day. Today she laughed with her sister until she could barely stay awake. They played hide and seek in the living room together and Erica kept running toward me and Daddy on the couch to escape when Erin would chase her. She knows several signs - thanks to our super nanny who teaches her sign language - and can tell us when she's "hungry", when she wants "more", when she's "finished" and sometimes can do it politely with a "please".
All in all, it was a great day with two great girls. I'm so glad I'm their Mom!
No comments:
Post a Comment