Sunday, November 30, 2008

Black Friday

Holy insanity Batman! I have always - until this year - been successful in avoiding the Black Friday shopping experience and with very good reason! However, this year I got talked into venturing out for a great deal. It started out that way anyway....





We hosted Thanksgiving at our house again for the 25 or so people in my extended family and after dinner we were all sitting around digesting turkey and trimmings and browsing the ads. There was talk as usual about going out in the early morning hours and I said "HELL NO!" like I always do and paid no more attention to the details. Then, as everyone was leaving, Brett and Amber were coordinating a sleep-over at Grandma and Pa's for the kids so they could all go shopping and Erin wanted in on the action. I interjected my usually loud opinion about how insane I thought they were and Denice said "you would pass up the kinds of deals we are getting in Park City? I think THAT is insane" and proceeded to tell me about the great deals her friend got last year. (Okay, so I'm a sucker for saving money on kid's clothes!) I let Erin go home with Grandma and Pa and still said NO to the shopping. But then the bargain hunter in me started talking in my ear and I called and asked if it was too late to go with them. Little did I know that they had more planned than the Park City trip I had heard about... I left my house that evening at 10:30 and didn't get home the next morning until 7:30am after having braved crowds and yelled at folks who don't speak English and were trying to butt in front of me in a line I'd been in for HOURS. We started in Park City at midnight and it was only after we had arrived that I heard the rest of the details. We were also headed to Walmart and then Target and Lowe's. I am pretty much done with my shopping but I seriously will never do more than the Park City part again. My time is worth WAY more than the few dollars I saved sitting in line for hours with the unwashed masses. Park City will probably be a new tradition until Erin can't wear their clothes anymore because of the screaming deals but the rest I now know from first hand experience I can live without! It was a fun outing and now I can say I've done it and it just isn't for me!

No comments: