Saturday, September 13, 2008

Random mutterings, catching up, and the week in recap

Here I sit, at my office away from work, vanilla chai spice latte in hand, wondering just how another week has gone by and I haven't had a single chance to blog. Wait... I remember! First week of dance, first week of gymnastics, first week of daily homework requirements... and it suddenly comes rushing back to me! Erin already had a bit of a tough time adjusting to the first couple of weeks of all-day-long school and add 4 hours of after-school activities plus what averages out to an hour a night of homework and you get the picture. Doesn't help that pretty much she thinks it sucks to have to go to bed so early anyway because "it isn't even dark outside, Mommy!". I'll be glad when it gets dark at a time that more reasonably corresponds with bed-time even though I will lament the loss of long daylight hours to enjoy outdoors.

The week wasn't all bad...

Erin absolutely LOVES dance and while it was pretty rough on her to come home at 7:30, snarf down some dinner and cram in homework before 8:30 bedtime she didn't complain a single word. She loves that her cousin Brynlee is in dance with her - although Bryn is in the younger class and only goes for an hour, they get to see each other and every other week Amber will take them both. A recap of the first day is in order simply for the hilarity factor... I left work early to come home in time to take her since I've been doing a ton of early morning changes lately. She had just gotten home from school and was finishing off a yogurt as her after-school snack. Because I knew she was staring down the length of a 3-hour dance class before dinner, I had her also eat half a PB&J and some cheese and crackers. Then we headed off to dance. It was AMAZING for Clint and I to have 3 hours of alone time. We went to dinner together and had we thought ahead more would have caught a movie as well (maybe next week!). When I picked Erin up at 7:30, the first words out of her mouth were "Mommy, I'm HUNGRY". While I am used to Clint eating like a horse, it is becoming apparent that Erin also has his metabolism and ravenous appetite as well. (Gawd help us!) We hit Wendy's for a cheeseburger on the way home and she wanted chicken nuggets as well. Like I said, ravenous appetite. When we got home and did homework, I put her in bed to do the 20-minutes of required reading and it was all she could do to stay awake for it all.

Tumbling class was equally as exciting because Erin and Bryn are actually in the same class. TOTAL EXCITEMENT. Homework on the other hand pretty much every night included crying on Erin's part. She says it is hard and just wants to give up. Then I tell her she can't quit until we are done which is about when she starts crying. I remember one night telling her that she had 12 years of homework ahead of her before she was out of school (at least!) and she just better get used to it. The shock on her face was pretty funny but looking back it might have not been the nicest thing for mommy to say at the time. Sometimes brutal honesty with a 6 year old isn't the best choice? I think the worst night of homework was Thursday when Kylee came over when we had just started homework and wanted to play. When we were done with homework, Kylee had to go inside to have a bath before bed so they couldn't play. Erin was devastated... even though they had played together for 3 hours after school before I got home from work. How quickly they forget and Mom is the most horrible person on earth, huh?

Work this week was CRAZY. Our Disaster Recovery site is located in Houston. As in "right in the path of Hurricane Ike" so this week we've been busy tracking the storm and making sure that staff in Houston are going to be safe and NOT at work, etc. I have good friends in Houston who were boarding up their BRAND NEW house and evacuating to a hotel hoping that the storm wouldn't destroy everything. K - hope you, C and R are safe and cozy!!

I also realize I have several holidays and events of photos that I haven't blogged about and have no time for entries. So, I'm going to take Kerstin's idea of posting a bunch of un-related photos all together in one blog entry instead of letting too much time go by without posting them. :)

Labor Day weekend was a drab and rainy affair this year and we only got a quick dutch-oven cook out in on Saturday at my brother's place. The kids got to jump on the trampoline with the sprinklers going underneath for a while before it got cold and we headed inside to play the Wii. Trevin and I pretty much agree that we don't play well together (maybe we are just too much alike?!) but McKade and I teamed up and kicked butt together at Tennis.




I also had the pleasure a couple of weeks ago of doing a little babysitting. Brett's been away for a month in training and Amber brought the girls to me one night so she could get away for dinner with some friends while the boys had a sleepover. Erin and Bryn had fun and Harlee kept getting trapped behind the couch with nowhere to go. Finally I found her some books and she was much happier. (Aw, girl after my own heart!) General silliness and lots of TV-land mesmerizing abounded...




Oh, and I decided I'm going to write a novel... In November! I've been saying that someday I'm going to write a book since I was in 9th grade. I think it is finally time? See my entry on my "other" blog for more details. (For those who didn't know, yes, I have a personal blog as well. If you want undiluted Terra ... uh, really, like this is filtered? You have no idea... check out the link "View from the Crystal Ball" under blogs I like to read...)

Laundry calls, the latte is long gone, and we are heading for the Dinosaur Museum but I need a shower still! And what the hell is with my poor punctuation? I don't even do double spaces at the ends of sentences anymore and it takes forever to get my OCD in check and edit the posts before sending.... I blame text messaging and my d@&* Blackberry! Or maybe I type to fast for the keyboard to recognize two taps on the spacebar? Hmmm... I might go with that one! Or is it the blogging software!? AAAGGHHH!!!

No comments: